Materials : We used the chassis of an RC car, a hummingbird board, hot glue, batteries, wires, heat shrink sleeves, and solder.
Tools : We used a hot glue gun, a soldering iron, and a computer.
Most challenging part : I think the most challenging part of the project was perfecting the code, because a lot of things we had to figure out and it took a while to craft the code. To resolve some coding problems we ran into, we just kept tweaking the code until we got it perfect.
Most fun part : The most fun part of the project was all the wires were hooked up and the wheels actually started turning. This brought relief and it was sort of cool that we hacked an RC car.
What did I learn : I learned how to use visual code for hummingbirds, and I learned about what goes on inside an RC car. I didn't learn any new tools, but Max learned how to solder. When we were stumped on which wires to connect to which to make certain wheels turn, we stood back thought about which wires came from near the wheels we wanted to move.
What would I change : Since we are doing our personal project as an elaboration of this one, we are aiming to upload the code to a hummingbird duo with an arduino on the back so it can drive wireless. We also want to put a distance sensor on the front so it can drive and when it senses a wall, it backs up and turns.